Last week we jumped in the car and drove up to Ohio to spend the Thanksgiving holiday at my sister's house with my Aunt Karen and Uncle Rick who came in from Seattle. The drive was uneventful. We stayed in a DIVE hotel. We had Rudder with us and much to our surprise traveling with him this time it seemed every hotel allowed pets, for a fee..... Our thought on this was that we were staying at a cheap hotel to begin with and our dog is a whole heck of a lot cleaner than most people who probably sleep there so we were not paying any $10 fee. When the guy flat out asked me if I had a pet I nearly choked, but I lied...... I hate lying. I felt SO guilty. Especially when we went to take our bags in and there was a sign on the door saying "if you have a pet and don't claim it you'll be fined $25." Long story short Jon snuck him in and out while I created a distraction. I felt as if I broke the law or something. Not to mention the hotel we stayed at sat 50 yards from a State Hwy patrol department. Anyway......
Ohio was cold, big surprise! Dinner was great and so was the company! Aunt Karen and Rick left early on Friday morning as my sister and I braved the Black Friday crowds at 5 am. I said I wouldn't do that again after last year..... Still not sure if it was worth it, but I did get most of my Christmas shopping done for the kids. We came home around 10am only to find the Flu had hit the Kalbachs. Again we were traveling and someone in our family was puking? Another surprise? Rudy and Jon were down all day. Saturday I got a cold, and so did Ella. Rudy got it Monday and still has it, Ella puked Tuesday...... I think we are done being sick? I still have yet to puke but Jon is leaving for the weekend tomorrow (skiing in Vail) so if I'm going to get the flu it will be while Jon is gone having fun.
Because of the cloud of illness hovering over my sister's house we opted not to travel up to Salem and spread our disease. We hung out the whole time at my sisters and trashed her house over and over inside and out:-) Ella had a blast with the boys. She and Zach have developed a love hate relationship. Constantly bickering but couldn't be apart. Alex..... it is interesting to watch him. He's changed so much. He has gone from a crazy kid to a big boy. He sits quietly and does his thing, is is capable of having intense conversations with you. He's such a big helper and so sweet with Baby Luke, Ella and Rudy. He is turning out to be quite a little man. Then there is baby Luke...... I think Rudy is going to pass of his "T-Bone" nick name to him. What a big boy! Another kid growing like a weed!
We braved the mall crowds on the Saturday following Thanksgiving to go to build-a-bear workshop and let the kids spend their gift cards that Cousin Kelly gave them all for being part in her wedding this summer. All the boys got their bears, well, Rudy and Luke got bears, Zach got a monkey, Alex a dog, and as Ella already has a bear from there so she got a cheerleader outfit for her bear. After build-a-bear, we were crowded out and hungry. On our way to have wings at Quaker Steak and Lube (YUMMM!!!) and a MUCH needed beer, we drove to downtown Columbus in search of Jon's grandpa's old home on East 2nd street. Unfortunately where we think his home was is now a park, however we did get to get out and walk around and take some pictures of where Jim lived 83 years ago. There were many old homes that surely were there 80 years ago as well as a cobblestone street that Jim probably played on. Jon's grandpa Jim had a rough childhood especially during his few years in Columbus, Ohio. It was really special for all of us to be in a place that had such an impact in his life.
Following the "walk down Jim Ledgerwood's Memory Lane" we headed to the Columbus Zoo to see the lights. It was FREEZING cold so we didn't see much but lights, goats and of course most importantly, Santa's Reindeer! Ella was in awe over them.
Our trip home was uneventful as well. Rudy did great for being stuck in his car seat for 10 hours with just one good break. Ella did great to. She talked much of the time repeating things she learned from the boys...... those things she learned are still surfacing daily. The funniest thing she learned was that "Girls don't have wienies" ........... This was one random comment that came out of her mouth when everyone was quiet. Priceless.
Now moving forward to Christmas! I am so excited to celebrate this year with the kids and Jon. Ella is getting it and soaking it all in. She is discovering all the magic in the season Santa Claus is no longer HO, and the joys and wonders of the night Jesus is born. She is very intrigued by baby Jesus! It's great!

No comments:
Post a Comment