Sunday, November 25, 2007

A Thankful Thanksgiving






It's been quite a while since I've blogged mostly because our old blog site wouldn't allow me to upload pictures directly to the page anymore, so I decided to follow suit and switch sites to the one our cousin Allison and sister Jenny use.  
Speaking of cousins and sisters wow has it been an exciting week!  To start, Jenny (Jon's sister) traveled cross country alone with her new born son Mason to visit a couple extra days with us before the rest of the family got here.  I remember the first time I traveled with Ella I was a nervous wreck but thankfully Jon was with me.  She did it alone with her arms ful
l and a new mom at that!  Our first night we had a 6 week old and an 8 week old screaming and Ella yelling over them.  We told ourselves it was "happy caous" as it was, however, I'd have to say if it were my life every day I would need constant medication or need hit the bottle pretty often.   
Lucky for us only one night did all three scream.  The rest of the time it was just Rudy:-(   As Ella was colicy from 6-14 weeks I have a lot of anxiety when he cries in the evening fearing him following down the sa
me path.  So far only once has he cried for 3 hours and we are keeping our fingers crossed that it was just a fluke of gas from what I ate on Thanksgiving. 
Anyway Two days after Jenny arrived she was followed by her husband Tim and Jon's mom and dad and my "adopted" cousin Tyler.  The week was filled with fun activities mostly involving Jon's aircraft as we got to watch him do field carrier landing practice (FCLP's)  which I have seen before but could watch every day.  We stand in or next to "the shack" just feet from the C-2 as it comes in to touch the ground in front of us and take off again as if they are landing on the aircraft carrier.  We also tra
veled up the Eastern Shore to Cape Charles which is one of Jon and my favorite hidden treasures here in Hampton Roads.  
We had lots of big news and events happen to be thankful for this week.  The first was that my sister Rebekah found out they are having their 3rd BOY!  After two boys she was hoping for a girl this time but certainly elaited at the news of a healthy looking baby no matter what the sex is. Baby Boy #3 is due in late March just in time for Easter and the final snow to be melting in Ohio!  Following suit with baby news , on Wednesday we got word that our cousin Ainsley gave birth to Baby Braxton at 6lbs 5oz and 19 inches long.  Braxton was not expected until early December but at about 3 weeks early he is healthy and perfect.  We can't wait to meet the little guy! Again on the topics of babies we got word today that our other cousin Allison (Ainsley's sister) is expecting as well!  This will be Allison's second pregnancy and 3rd baby as the first two are twins.   She surly will be busy!  
The other event/news was quite trying for Jon and I .  He had a phone call from his skipper on Monday night informing him that he was up of an I.A. deployment in February!  I.A. meaning Individual Augmentation when the Navy gives an officer to the Army, trains them and sends them to war for 12-18 months.  Long story short he was not chosen to go.  It would have been really hard for us because had he been chosen he would have had to leave very very soon to begin training and then be gone for 270 days.  The thought of it made us both sick as he just got home from Bahrain and already missed Rudy's birth and would miss his first birthday too.  As he was passed up this time to go it brought it to our attention how certainly possible it is that he does do an IA period.  It is pretty much gaurenteed that he will do one during his career.  It is a much more dangerous job than the one he has they typically are on the ground in Iraq or Afganastan doing something they have not been training 5 years to do.  It's frustrating that it is a possiblity because it is not what he joined the Navy to do and an extra deployment we had not planned on or intended him to have to do.  However we do what the navy says even if I'm kicking and screaming.........luckily I have not yet been reduced to that!  


No comments: